Hello friends and happy Monday! I hope that you had a good weekend as summer comes to its’ end… We have been really savoring this little bit of time before school starts back up with all of the year’s schedules and more. Today I am sharing a DIY for some Decorative Colored Pencils that when paired with an adult coloring book, are the perfect gift for someone.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I am stumped at the idea of what to give someone for a gift. What I do know is how much I always enjoy walking through pretty little gift shops and the thoughtful and creative gifts they have so brilliantly displayed on their tables. Those very types of shops brought me inspiration for today’s idea.
I keep hearing lots of wonderful things about the adult coloring books out there and thought it would be fun to pair it with some colored pencils. Pencils that could easily be left out beautifully displayed on someone’s desk.
So I got to work and made a set and here is how you can too!
- You will need colored pencils (I used CraZart), scissors with a pencil or paper cutter, ruler, a variety of scrapbooking paper and a glue stick.
- Now cut strips of paper the length of the pencil (minus the sharpened point) and the width (allowing a little extra to overlap). It will depend on what colored pencils you use, but my strips of paper measured about 1 1/2 inches wide.
- Next, cover the strip with glue and begin wrapping your pencil very tightly around.
- Add extra glue on the finishing edge of your paper as you finish wrapping to ensure it will adhere.
- As a side note, these sharpened fine for me. It does take some of the paper off but still looks great (I had a silly little sharpener too that wasn’t very high grade – ha!)
That is it! This little project was easy, looks special and adds a little detail to a desktop or gift.
Knowing that I had thought of using this as a gift, I wanted to share how I would put it together in a basket too…
Just by putting some simple and inexpensive things together you can have a lovely present for a birthday, housewarming, Mother’s Day gift or even an Easter Basket for someone more mature.
I used bright colors that would compliment the newly made colored pencils and stuck the goodies in a small crate (because gift baskets do not necessarily have to be in a basket).
I added a pencil holder to match the pretty paper and of course the piece that ties it all together, an adult coloring book from Leisure Arts.
Flowers are always a good idea (I used faux in this scenario because I was looking for specific colors) and who doesn’t love a little butterfly to brighten your day?
Mixing patterns between florals and stripes gives visual interest to the gift.
Sometimes grown ups need to display thier art too =), so I made sure to include some magnet clips that could be hung on the refrigerator.
Being someone who loves art and also someone who loves to give gifts this project was a treat to do and share with you!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
This “Adult Coloring Book Gift” post was also shared on Craftberry Bush March 14, 2016