Hello Friends and welcome back – hope you know how much I always enjoy having you here! Today I wanted to share a little more information regarding the DIY upgrade I did to our chairs by giving them some newly sewn linen slipcovers…
This is the before of the Ikea Chairs.
Here are the steps I took to sew these covers…
- I used 4 panels of Ikea’s linen curtains here. I also used heavy duty thread, scissors, sewing machine, tape measure and some sewing pins.
- First I washed and hung the material to dry.
- Next I measured the sections of the sofa and then cut the material accordingly. I always make sure to add a couple inches to my measurements – accounting for seams.
- I began pinning sections together atop the chair – inside out (as this chair is asymmetrical and could be easily used this way).
- I would sew a little at time and then go back and pin. I repeated this all throughout the process of the entire chair.
- Once it was all sewn, I added on pointed slits and hemmed the bottom.
- Lastly, I ironed and steamed the covers, making them look freshly pressed.
As you can see, there are still threads to trim =)…
I wanted to add a little more luxury to these seats, so I took some large linen Euro pillows I had lying around and added them to the seat. Now it looks like a complete set. The color of the seat pillow is a bit off but I am ok with that…
Because the whole chair is comfy and it is not perfect which is the very goal of linen in my opinion. To show every wrinkle and looked loved on or lived in.
Here are the original chairs I was inspired by and I am really enjoying how I feel like I have a bit of luxury for a big fraction of the cost. Hope this inspires you today, even if it is just to make something simple. Thank you so much for stopping by!