Hello friends and happy Monday! I have been meaning to share this recipe for a long time and am finally getting to this simple way of making pie! I hope you will enjoy it as summer approaches and barbecues or outdoor dinners become a regular thing for some. When dessert is in order, pie is a wonderful addition to the table.
You will only need a handful of ingredients:
- 2 frozen pie crusts (you could also make some from scratch)
- Butter for greasing your pie plate
- 3 – 4 cups of berries (we used frozen cherries this time, but you can use fresh too)
- 1 Tablespoon of cream of tarter
- 1 tablespoon of honey (this can be increased if there is a need for more sweetness) Of course sugar works too =)
My little helper was so anxious to make a pie and that is what brought all the fun about in the first place. She did a great job and here is how simple this recipe is…
- Mix the cherries (or berries of choice), cream of tartar and honey until combined.
- Form the first pie crust (once defrosted) onto your pie plate as shown. Then layer your pie filling.
- For a fun spin on the top of the pie, you can take cookie cutters and cut out shapes from the top crust. We used flowers in this case. Then keeping the wax sheet in tact, flip the crust over the pie filling as shown above. Now remove the wax paper (this step is much easier than trying to remove the wax paper beforehand).
- You can also take the cookie cut pie crust extra’s and layer them atop.
- Bake the pie according to the pie crust’s instructions (we waited until golden brown and filling was bubbling…).
- Then Enjoy!
This was so easy and adapted from something my dad taught me years ago. I still love to use this for an impromptu dessert or something last minute. I hope you let me know if you end up trying it out and have a wonderful start to your week!
This looks so good and really easy which I appreciate I dont have the time but love the made from scratch feel. I am a friend of your mother in laws. I remember Tyler and the kids from when they were little. Tarah and my daughter Lauren were in ice skating together and we would be there with our babies at the time kaylee and my daughter Katelyn who are 4 days apart.
Oh Julie, thank you so much and I am so glad you took the time to introduce yourself. What sweet memories! Thanks for stopping in!