Last year when we started living on a much tighter budget, one way we saved money was to make things from scratch. To replace buying boxes of crackers or prepacked snacks, I would take tortillas and cut them into squares, season them and then bake. They would make perfect puffy crackers and my kids loved them!
It had been a while since I made these little treats and decided to whip up a batch. As I made them I started to think about how fun it would be to cookie cut them into a shape and season with cinnamon sugar. So the kids and I found a pumpkin cookie cutter (since it is fall after all) and had fun.
Here is what you will need…
- Tortillas (I use the uncooked variety) but the cooked versions work well too.
- Cookie Cutter
- Cinnamon and sugar (equal parts) or you could make these with salt/pepper, etc… Lots of room to get creative!
Here is how to bake these up…
- Using your cookie cutter(s) cut out however many tortillas you will want.
- Spread out your tortilla shapes onto a non stick cookie sheet
- Sprinkle with your cinnamon sugar mixture (amount depends on your taste)
- Put in the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes. Watch and check as they bake, because depending on your tortillas this could be more or less. They should be golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and then enjoy!
These are so easy, a simple treat and the kids love to help prepare them before baking. Like I said before, there are so many ways to vary this up. I hope you enjoy trying this out and let me know if so! Thanks so much for stopping by!
For good measure, I included a real pumpkin picture =)…