I started making this very simple soup using some things we already had at home and it turned out great! It is a quick meal that can be thrown together last minute. Hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by!
– 3 cloves of minced garlic
– 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 small onion chopped
– A dozen cherry tomatoes or several large tomatoes
– 1 quart of chicken stock
– 1 can of pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
– 1 cup frozen corn
– 1 tablespoon cumin powder
– 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder (really could use more but I make it mild for the kids sake =}).
– 1 cup of cooked and shredded chicken
– Optional add ons: sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime, tortilla chips and avocado
Start warming the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and then add the garlic and begin to sauté. Add the chopped onion and sauté with the garlic. While the garlic/onion cook – chop the cherry tomatoes in half (or if using large tomatoes, chop them into large cubes). Add the tomatoes to the garlic/onion and continue to sauté (for about 5 minutes) over medium-low heat. The tomatoes will begin to break down and the pan will fill with juice. Pour the chicken stock into the pot. Bring the heat up to medium and add the rinsed pinto beans, frozen corn, cumin and chili powder. After the pot has warmed on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes add the chicken and continue to let the soup cook for an additional five minutes.
– note: when I use this for meal planning, I defrost some our cooked shredded chicken. For the sour cream, I instead use our Greek yogurt and bake tortilla strips from the tortillas we buy for the month.
Gayle Cady Trousdale says
Great blog, Annie. This soup looks really good. I am going to make it tonight.
Love you! Gayle
Thank you so much Gayle! I love that you are trying it and hope you enjoy it! We had it too last night