I love my new DIY linen headboard!
Hello friends and welcome back! I made over this tufted headboard about a month ago, I have been meaning to share the simple process and am finally getting to it.
This is more of an inspiration project than a DIY because I took something and adjusted what was already there, but I think it could be a DIY without too much trouble =)…
I was searching my local Hobby Lobby when I ran across this wall art on clearance seen above. After seeing the price I couldn’t resist buying it and making a transformation. I knew it would be the perfect addition to our DIY sofa bed.
This wall art had a frame attached that could easily be removed. I first took the frame off and then began the fun.
I didn’t want to keep the dark embellishments or the roping, so those were the first to go.
They were screwed into the plywood (similar to a drawer pull).
Now I lined the board with linen. I just cut around the frame ensuring it would fit.
I stapled around the entire piece, making sure to put in lots of staples. I wanted this to be nice and snug.
I bought one of those button cover makers (which was a breeze to use) and then made all new linen buttons. I tied them together on the back and re-tufted the wall art.
I gave the frame a chalk paint finish and assembled it back on.
(Rug from Rugs USA, Art from Wellbrock_Art, #7 Pillow from Painted Fox, Affiliate Link in Sidebar)
It gave our sofa bed just the right amount of height needed to finish this little space. I kept feeling like the bed was missing something and love the headboard. Now it adds texture, neutral tones and balance.
Again, I think this could be done with a lightweight board, some foam and following the basics of this piece I found (minus the frame). I hope it inspires you that decorating can be inexpensive while looking beautiful =).
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Your headboard is perfection and looks great in your space! I am very curious about the item you purchased for covering buttons. Did you purchase that at Hobby Lobby as well? I sew and I have always wanted to attempt button covering because it is such a pretty detail.
Hi Paula, thank you so much! I had always wanted to try as well and this was the perfect opportunity! These were from JoAnn Fabrics and they were called button cover makers I believe. Less than 5 dollars for the kit and so easy!
That looks so beautiful…really finished off your space!
Tania thanks very much. It does finally feel much more complete now =)…
Great DIY project 🙂 What a good idea!
Jenny thank you, I am glad you enjoyed!
Very pretty–I have considered doing something similar by covering foam core board with batting and material. Maybe your project will give me the jump start I need. 🙂
Thank you Kris and I am glad you enjoyed!